CHILLI SQUID

I love seafood more than anything else in the world.  I think I could easily be a pescatarian for the rest of my life.  Sometimes I like my seafood to be given a little hit of naughtiness, to me this usually means some cheeky deep frying!  This calamari recipe is fairly easy, ridiculously yummy and will satisfy all your seafood cravings at once.  Crunchy golden batter with a chilli kick and a wondeful acidic squeeze of lime, I'm drooling as I type!









  • Ingredients:
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 tablespoonlemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon lime juice
  • 2 large squid, cleaned and trimmed (reserve some tentacles)
  • ½ cup plain flour
  • 1 tablespoon chilli flakes
  • 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
  • egg whites, whisked with a fork until slightly frothy
  • 1L grapeseed oil, for deep frying
Directions:

1. Combine the milk and lemon juice and set aside to sour. Open the squid out, scrape the inner membrane, wipe with paper towel and cut into rings. Place in the milk mixture.

3. In a separate bowl combine the flour, chilli flakes, paprika and sea salt flakes.

4. Just prior to deep frying, drain squid from milk mixture.  Coat in egg white followed by corn  mixture.

5. Deep fry at 180°C for 45 seconds or until golden but tender.  Deep fry tentacles at 180°C for 30 seconds or until golden but tender. Season with salt to taste and drizzle with lime juice.



No comments:

Post a Comment